Thank you!

Thank you!
Thank a Veteran each and every day

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

sharing a thank you!

Dear Rita,

I am truly humbled by your more than generous gift this morning at our weekly Rotary meeting.  I noticed you and the quilts as soon as I walked in this morning.  I had heard a little bit about your group prior to today but was not familiar with everything you have done.  Your video presentation and talk brought me back to my military days which ended nearly 23 years ago.

I was a member of the United States Air Force, stationed out of Scott AFB in Belleville, Il.  I was assigned to the 375 Security Police Squadron.  I was a member of a 44 man flight that was deployed to an undisclosed location in Saudi Arabia on January 10, 1991.  We were approximately 30 miles south of the Iraq border.  My responsibilities were to secure an air base for flight missions in and out of Baghdad.  We also provided search and rescue for downed Apache Helicopters.  I remember those times and fellow airmen like it was yesterday.

I have recently had an opportunity to reunite with a few of those men through facebook, those are friendships that you will never forget.  It doesn’t matter how long the gap is between conversation the brotherhood is always there.

What you and your group are doing is extraordinary and you all should be commended.  You took what has been an excellent week for me and put the exclamation point in it.  I often have to remind myself how many great people are truly in this world.  I think being in Law Enforcement for 23 years, sometimes  makes me pessimistic of others, but the last few days I have really had a chance to reflect on my career,  all the people who have shown their support has been amazing.

There are no words that I can express to you how honored you made me feel today by allowing me to be a recipient of a Quilt of Valor and be able to share that with my fellow Rotarians.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,

Robert Munson

No comments: