Thank you!

Thank you!
Thank a Veteran each and every day

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Two QOV's go to Hines Hospital





Yesterday I delivered two Quilts to Cris from Hines Hospital that will be presented sometime this week (I'm assuming). The textured quilt that Nancy made will be presented to "T" (Marine) legally blind and another "T" (Army)will also get a quilt. He is with low vision.

Hines patient Marine Corps Lieutenant Tim Fallon recently received a very special quilt from the Quilts of Valor (QOV) organization. QOV provides quilts to "heal and comfort our war wounded" around the country. Sharon Helman, Hospital Director, was proud to present Lt. Fallon with his quilt on behalf of a Batavia branch of the group.

Rita

2 comments:

Penny Quilts said...

I want to know what a textured quilt is? Do you use special threads? Is there special quilting on it? I have made the 3D Threader www.3dthreader.com and use it to add multiple threads to the quilting--and also to make fuzzies, loopies and couching of the threads. This is so interesting to me--I want to learn more! I also longarm for QOV! God Bless America! Hugs, Penny

Caron Carlson said...

Penny, I wrote to Nancy to answer your question and she wrote: I mostly relied on the textures of the fabric. It contains wool, satin, minky, suede, etc. The piecing of the stars and the quilting provide tactile texture as well as visual texture. I didn't have time to explore fabric manipulations - but that's an idea for the future. Nancy

Hope this helps and thanks for asking.
Rita